An API is an essential part of a developer’s toolkit, as it gives projects on-demand access to data from sources external to their application. An API is a middleware or intermediary that allows two applications to talk to each other. Each time you use an app like TikTok or check sports on your phone, you’re likely using an API.
In the world of web3 and crypto, "nodes" are critical components of the blockchain. A “node” is more or less a server that acts as a digital ledger. A node records all the transactions that occur on the chain. Nodes also allow users to access data on the blockchain.
What is Blockchain API?
APIs play a critical role in web3. APIs exist in DeFi for transaction execution, staking, protocol governance, crypto rewards, data analysis, and many other use cases.
APIs allow communication between a blockchain node and a client's network or another app or service. APIs allow greater access to a blockchain without the hassle of deploying and maintaining a node. APIs also allow greater scale, such that one engineer can interact with multiple different blockchain protocols.
Whether you’re a Solidity engineer, a hobbyist dev, or a DeFi trader, APIs can help speed up your web3 journey. Whether you want to develop deploy an NFT marketplace or build a Fintech app, API platforms can help you start small and scale with time.
Free Blockchain API Services
Each of these great platforms offer a free version of their API and more robust, paid plans for enterprise use cases:
QuickNode supports 25+ blockchains and provides one of the best and easy to use interfaces.
2. DeCommas Mission Control API
DeCommas Mission Control API is a toolbox that allows developers to build a multitude of web3 applications and features.
Building applications and features such as portfolio trackers, web3 searchbars and cross-chain asset swaps is a breeze with this developer friendly, blazingly fast and cost-efficient API. At build.decommas.io you can get started in just a few clicks, completely free of charge.
Alchemy wins the award for best developer docs and a great NFT tool.
Infura has the best support for ETH.
GetBlock offers support for 40 protocols, shared and dedicated node access.
Moralis offers the most versatile pricing/plan options.
Other Free Blockchain API's
In addition to our list of our top blockchain API providers, consider checking out this popular API list by Rapid. While many of the APIs mentioned aren’t hosted on the blockchain, they can help developers scrape data from various websites and social media platforms. If you’re a content creator, these APIs will really help you out.
Blockchain API Use Cases
Blockchain APIs can be used in a variety of ways, including:
- Payment processing: Blockchain APIs can be used to process secure and decentralized payments.
- Supply chain management: Blockchain technology can be used to track the movement of goods through a supply chain, providing transparency and accountability.
- Digital identity: Blockchain-based APIs can be used to create digital identities that are secure, portable, and self-sovereign.
- Smart contracts: Blockchain APIs can be used to create and execute smart contracts, which are self-executing contracts with the terms of the agreement between buyer and seller being directly written into lines of code.
- Decentralized marketplaces: Blockchain-based marketplaces can be created using APIs, which allow for peer-to-peer transactions without the need for a central authority.
- Decentralized applications: APIs can be used to build decentralized applications (dApps) that run on a blockchain network.
- Data Management and Sharing: APIs can be used to record, store, and share data securely in a decentralized and tamper-proof manner.